not-front-rule

1983 380SL Roadster

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

3 replies [Last post]
murpa59's picture

I'm looking at a 1983 380SL Roadster that is in good condition with 140K miles on it. The exterior is perfect (including the removable hard-top). Interior just needs a cleaning but no flaws in the leather seats. It is in the south so no rust. I'm having a mechanic check it out but it seems to run perfectly. As this will be my first Mercedes, I'm trying to find out what a good price for the car would be. No info from Kelly Blue book obviously. Any help would be appreciated. I really like the car A LOT.

Share this
smaiocco's picture
Falmouth, MA

Vehicles
1984 380SL
1961 190SL
Re: 1983 380SL Roadster

Prices of these cars seems to vary widely and especially from season to season. I have noticed a significant drop in value over the past year or so at least in the Northeast (it figures since I'm trying to sell my 1985 380SL Euro).

I would think the car you describe would sell somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000. I usually don't see much higher than that unless the car is very low mileage (like 60,000 miles or less). But like I said, prices can be all over the place on these cars. This is just my opinion.

SLMARKET.COM publishes a newsletter which focuses on SL values. You may want to check it out. You should also peruse oursl.com which lists a lot of these cars for sale.

Before you buy the car, be sure you understand the timing chain history- when was the chain last replaced? Has it been converted to a double-row chain (I think 1983 was the last year produced with a single-row chain)? If not, plan on having it converted and factor that cost into your purchase decision (alternatively, you could keep the single chain and change it more frequently although I don't recommend that). If the history is unknown, have it checked right away (like the day you buy the car!).

Good luck with it; these cars are a lot of fun.

Steve

1961 190SL
1984 380SL
1985 380SL Euro

murpa59's picture

Thank you so much for the information. The car is absolutely beautiful but I just wanted to make sure I researched the car before completing the purchase. I was also concerned about the cost of parts if anything needs replacing. Judging from all the receipts, the car has had most of the work done already so I'm pretty comfortable with the purchase. Just waiting on the mechanic now (and he is checking the belts - thank you).

zak
zak's picture
Bernardsville, NJ

Vehicles
2002 G500
1999 E300 Turbo Diesel
1987 300TDT
1967 250SL

So how much are you paying?