not-front-rule

1974 240D fuel injection pump

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
Former Member
hess240D's picture
Forney, TX

Vehicles
1974 240D

Can anyone tell me what the red cap is on the fuel injection pump? Do I need to add oil to the pump? What type of maintenance is needed for the pump?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
Texas

Share this
redghost's picture
Seattle, WA

Vehicles
2002 S430
1995 300D
1974 450SL
1972 220D
Re: 1974 240D fuel injection pump

The red cap is the oil fill hole for the IP. You need to change the oil in the IP each time you change engine oil. The cap comes off, and you can either suck it out, as you do the engine oil, or the manual calls for "blowing" it out. That makes a mess.

There is a bolt half way up the IP body that you unscrew to let you know you have reached full. it will dribble out excess oil.

You change the oil in the IP because it tends to become diluted by fuel after a few thousand miles and will become all fuel instead of oil. Just use the same oil as you are putting in the engine, or if you are using a synthetic, you can use standard 30 weight.

clay

2002 S430 - Victor, White Tie & Tails
1974 450SL Frosch, my little froggy prince, after meeting a bunch of toads
1972 220D - Gump - She was green, simple and ran and ran
1995 E300D - Cleo - Killed by a Suzuki Vitara
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers

Former Member
Bobby's picture
Sterling Heights, MI

Vehicles
1972 220D
Re: 1974 240D fuel injection pump

Please tell us why you would not want to put synthetic oil into the FIP. Thanks.