not-front-rule

1972 350sl - looking for original radio

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

8 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

looking to restore my father's 1972 350sl to it's absolute original - need the original radio which we replaced in the 80's - bad move!

anyone know where i can find one in good condition?

Share this
Engr693's picture

Radio

To restore to original, you need to know exactly which radio the car came with. Euro, Grand Prix, AM/FM, AM/FM Casette, etc.

If you have the original data card it will tell you which radio came with it. Unless of course you already know.

As far a finding one, I have seen a number of them on ebay.

Good luck!

Gary

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

its a euro...but could other models or years fit. i checked ebay and only found beckers that claim to fit other models from that time period or sedans. does anyone know exactly which radio the 1972 euro 350sl had? my dad lost his manual. thanks.

Jim Hansz's picture
Kalispell, MT

Vehicles
1969 230
1990 420SEL

Trina:

I'm looking at the data card for my 72 350SL 4.5, a US version, and see no reference to radio. I would assume your euro-model data card is the same. As I recall the standard radio was a Europa II AM/FM stereo with the cassettes optional. I think the cassette was a Mexico model, but I'm not certain. I believe the Europa cassettes first showed up on the 80 models. Probably the simplest route for you is to contact Becker about something from their reconditioned inventory. They need a core to exchange and I bet you can get one easy and cheap on Ebay. Becker also can supply the wire plug-ins which were probably cut off and tossed out when the replacement radio was installed. I believe they also have knobs and other parts to restore original radios.

Becker is here:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Another source of Beckers is here:

http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=72&VID=

JCH

Former Member
cth350's picture
Rockville, NY

Vehicles
1992 500SL
1992 190E
1989 300TE
1981 380SLC
1974 450SL
1969 300SEL 6.3
1967 300SE Coupe
1967 250SE Coupe
1965 600 Sedan
1964 300SE
1964 230SL
1963 300SE

after 1967 or so, all the radios are interchangable. Contact mercedes and get your data card. there is an option code on it that will tell you exactly which radio came with it. You can buy the radio on ebay or you can contact Becker in NJ directly. They rebuild the vintage radios and take great pride in their work.

good luck with dad's car. -cth

Former Member
acorn1800's picture
Swanzey, NH

Vehicles
1973 280SE
1972 350sl - looking for original radio

My 73 280SE had a Becker, AM/FM mono, with one oval speaker in the dash. The front panel was dark with light stripes, two sets of knobs, and 5 pushbuttons, 2 AM/3FM if I remember correctly. I still have it up in the attic so I can put it back in if I want to "restore" the car.

JimHouk's picture
Silverdale, WA

Vehicles
2011 ML350
1990 560SEC
1972 350SL
Original radio in 1972 350SL

My 1972 350SL US version came with the Europa II stereo radio.

According to my Data Book Mercedes Benz for the 350SL US version the standard radio was "All transistor AM/FM push button. and the option was Stereo.

If you install a Becker Europa II stereo, or any period Becker, you will have the car back to original equipment. If you are going to show the car concours, and want the original radio in the car, an option is to find a dealer who will take your VIN and run the exact equipment that was on the car when it left the factory.

On the VIN plate there are a series of 3 digit numbers, those are all the options that were on your Dad's car when it left the factory. I have a link to the codes some where on my computer, when I find it will post the codes.

There were some good posts to research the radio.

Good luck,

Jim Houk

Engr693's picture

Data codes

I got these off the internet someplace, cannot confirm their accuracy.

Data Card Codes- 230, 250, 280SL

511 Becker Mexico Radio
513 Becker Grand Prix Stereo Radio
514 Becker Europa (LMKU)
516 Becker Grand Prix Radio
From other sources: These may be newer updated codes not 200 series

513 Becker Europa Stereo AM/FM
518 Becker radio "Mexico"

Can anyone confirm any of these?

rwmay's picture

My '72 280 se 4.5 still has the original Becker with one speacker on the dash and it all still works. In the paperwork that came with the car I found an extensive owner's manual just for the radio. I guess it was considered a complex piece of technology at the time.